A cheerful heart is good medicine – Proverbs 17:22
Hummus & Apple salad
I am a great believer in an apple a day. They are good for you, believe me. I am also a great believer in making instead of buying. You should NEVER buy ready made hummus. This is so easy to make to your own taste that once you have got there then you will believe me; you will NEVER buy ready made hummus again. And as for apple and hummus together – well, they are a taste worth trying.
To make a large pot of hummus that you can keep returning to until you need to make more:
- 1 15oz tin chickpeas (drain only half the liquid)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- juice of 1 lemon and 1 lime
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Marigold vegetable bouillon
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 mild chilli (optional)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- crushed pumpkin seeds
Into a blender or food processor, add chickpeas, tahini, lemon and lime juice, bouillon powder, garlic, chilli, and olive oil. Blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning.
- 2 inch piece of cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 finely sliced apple
- 4-5 leaves of Little Gem lettuce
- good salad dressing made with olive oil/cider vinegar/grainy mustard.
Toss the salad ingredients into a bowl with the dressing. Spoon hummus on top; sprinkle with sumach and crushed pumpkin seeds.
Eat and enjoy.