Nectarine and Basil
Today it rains. It has rained for 6 hours and The Weather shows no sign of changing its mind in the near future. The destiny for all of us in this part of the world, today, is to become very, very wet.
It is also very cold!
So why, I ask myself, am I contemplating a SALAD???
Surely, a hot chilli would be better? Of course it would. But as I have already mentioned, it’s wet outside. Chilli would necessitate a trip to the shops and I don’t want to get wet. Anyway, it’s supposed to be Summer outside. I remain an Optimist.
To prevent a total breakdown of Hope in the Future, colour is called for so let me present:
- 1 handful of leaves of choice (I used watercress and lettuce)
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 ripe nectarines
- 3 black olives
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flaked almonds
- good olive oil, cider vinegar, grainy mustard dressing
Throw everything into a bowl, combine with dressing, pile onto a plate and garnish with a sprig of basil. Eat and dream of warmer days to come.